You can import masters previously exported from Tally.ERP 9 in XML format into the data of a company. Before importing, ensure that all the same features are enabled and disabled in the Company Features as the company from which the data is being imported.
For example, if you want to import masters created in ABC Company to a new company – XYZ Company. The options Maintain stock categories and Maintain batch-wise details must be enabled in ABC company before exported the masters. To import masters into XYZ Company, you need to ensure that both the options Maintain stock categories and Maintain batch-wise details are enabled in XYZ Company before importing.
To import masters
- Go to Gateway of Tally > Import Data > Masters .
- Enter the name of the .xml file to be imported, if the file is located in the Tally.ERP 9 application folder.
Note : By default, the export location is the Tally.ERP 9 installation folder, which is also the default import location. Therefore, it is not required to specify the file path during import. If the path is other than the installation folder, you must specify the exact location path, for example, C:\Export_Files\XML\Master.xml or C:\Export_Files\XML\DayBook.xml
- Select the Behaviour to define the method by which the existing entries in the company will be treated.
- Combine Opening Balances : Select this option to import data of different branches and consolidate the opening balances. You can also select this option when the opening balances of existing masters are Zero and need to be overwritten by the balances in the data being imported.
- Ignore Duplicates : Select this option to import new masters along with the existing masters in Tally ignoring the duplicates.
- Modify with New Data : Select this option to replace the existing balances with those existing in the data imported and also override the other options available in list of behaviours available.
The Import Masters screen appears as shown below:
4. Press Enter to import.
Note: You can open the file Tally.imp located in the Tally.ERP 9 installation folder to view the import log.